AGV have released Valentino Rossi’s ‘Blues Brother’s’ themed helmet that he wore for the Misano MotoGP in 2016 in their race-specification AGV Pista GP R range – this is going to be another popular helmet for Valentino Rossi fans (at least for those with money to spend as the Pista GP R does not come cheap!).
It is a long running tradition that Valentino Rossi always has a new helmet design created for his home races of Mugello and Misano in MotoGP, and in 2016 Rossi used ‘The Blues Brothers’ movie as inspiration to pay tribute to his hometown with a helmet design called ‘Sweet Home Misano’.
The helmet was created by Aldo Drudi (who is responsible for all of Valentino’s helmet designs) and it featured a photo of Rossi and his best friend Alessio Salucci, aka ‘Uccio’, dressed up as the Blues Brothers from the original film. Rossi has previously stated that the Blues Brothers is his favorite film.
The top of the helmet features the phrase ‘Sweet Home Misano‘ which is a twist on the song ‘Sweet Home Chicago‘ that is featured in The Blues Brothers film. The sides of the helmet features an image of the Bluesmobile from the film, and the rear has the usual cartoon of Rossi’s two bulldogs and cat (who are all dressed up as Blues Brothers also).
This is one of the more memorable Misano helmets that Valentino Rossi has worn so it is probably safe to assume that this limited edition release will sell out quickly. Pre-ordering is probably a safe bet if you want to make sure you can get your hands on one of these lids.
The Pista GP R is the evolution of the AGV’s groundbreaking Pista GP which has been around for a few years now. It is basically AGV’s professional race-specification helmet and it has been designed as a performance helmet, and as such it lacks some flexibility in its features that a more casual rider might be looking for. This is an incredible helmet and it is pretty much the same helmet that Valentino Rossi wears when he hits the MotoGP track each weekend. And if it is good enough for ‘The Doctor’….
Overview of the Pista GP R:
The Pista GP R is AGV’s premium race helmet and it is the latest evolution of the groundbreaking Pista GP, basically AGV’s MotoGP helmet. The Pista GP R has been designed as a pure performance helmet and you really need to be using this helmet at full speed in order to get the full benefit of the features and the development that has gone into it.
So what is so different about the new Pista GP R?:
This latest version of the Pista includes a few new features that basically have come straight from the race-track. The first difference is in the spoiler which now has multiple wings to provide more ‘down force’ and even greater stability at high speed. This “biplano” spoiler has been tested intensively in wind tunnels and with feedback from MotoGP racers like Valentino Rossi, Pol Espargaro, Jack Miller, Andrea Iannone, and more.
Another new feature that has come from the race-track is the integrated hydration system which has been developed with input from MotoGP racers. There is now a tube that is integrated with routing optimized to eliminate distraction for completely unencumbered hydration while riding. This feature alone should tell you that this is a thoroughbred race helmet and the features you get with this helmet are there to make racing easier, more comfortable, and faster.
The air vents in the new Pista GP R have also had an overhaul and they now have a metallic grill over the vents that increase overall strength and protection. The vents are always open, but the Pista GP R comes with plugs to close them if required.
All in all this is still the killer race helmet that riders have come to expect from AGV’s Pista range. Expensive sure, but if you are a performance rider or if you race in any shape or form, then this really is a cutting-edge lid that has purely been created for the motorcycle racer.
Official Description of the AGV ‘Sweet Home Misano’ Pista GP R helmet:
The ultimate track helmet is now even better, with an included hydration system, MotoGP-developed metal air vents and a wind-tunnel-tested “biplano” spoiler that has multiple wings to maximize aerodynamic performance and add stability at high speed. The 100% carbon fiber shell’s shape is designed to minimize interference with the racing suit, while the interior has an adaptable fit and places no stitching in sensitive areas.
The AGV Pista GP R Helmet features an integrated hydration system developed with top riders with tube routing optimized to eliminate distraction for completely unencumbered hydration while riding. MotoGP developed metal air vents with an innovative external fins structure have been engineered to capture maximum airflow in the front of the shell and increase air pressure on the rear exhaust, therefore increasing the speed of air transition inside the helmet, and leading to higher cooling performance. The wind-tunnel-tested “biplano” spoiler has multiple wings to maximize aerodynamic performance and add stability at high speed.
A 360 degree video of the Valentino Rossi Pista GP R Misano 2016 helmet:
- Shell in 100% 3K Carbon Fiber engineered in four sizes with five-densities EPS structure developed in four sizes. The structure offers an extremely compact and light helmet with unmatched safety performance.
- Shell shape is designed to maximize aerodynamic performance and to minimize the risk of impact energies being channeled to the collar bone. Rear shape is engineered to minimize interference with racing suit in racing position.
- IVS (Integrated Ventilation System) ventilation with five large front vents and two rear extractors hollowed in the shell which direct air to the rider’s head. The unique central upper air intake has been strategically placed in highest air pressure point to capture maximum air flow.
- New MotoGP-developed metal air vents, combines unique strength and protection with an innovative external fins structure engineered to capture maximum airflow in the front of the shell and increase air pressure on the rear exhaust, therefore increasing the speed of air transition inside the helmet, leading to higher cooling performance. New internal chin channels distribute the air flow evenly through the entire visor surface. Vent covers are included in the box.
- New wind tunnel tested Biplano spoiler features multiple wings to maximize aerodynamic performance, optimize CX, stabilizing the helmet during high speed riding in any conditions. Biplano spoiler is engineered to detach from the helmet in case of an accident, therefore maintaining helmet’s round shape for increased safety.
- MotoGP-developed interiors engineered for maximum performance on the track with a patented structure that allows riders to optimize fit and select helmet height positioning over the head. Developed with top riders, the neck roll offers easy entry, maximum ventilation and adaptable fit. Different thickness crown pad and cheek pads inserts are included in the box, allowing the rider to adapt the helmet fit. Removable nose guard and wind protector.
- The inner of the helmet is designed to offer the highest riding comfort without any stitches in sensitive areas. All parts are easily removable and washable
- Neck roll: Two-way stretch breathable fabric to guarantee the maximum breathability in a lightweight structure, with high-strength Nabuk inserts for durable performance.
- Cheek pads: Soft and gentle Shalimar fabric with Sanitized(r) (antibacterial protection), 2 Dry (moisture-wicking) and Microsense (premium skin comfort and wearing fluidity) treatments.
- Crown pad: Elastic microfiber with the same treatments listed for check pads.
- New patented cheek pads safety release system engineered to conveniently remove cheek pads in case of accident.
- MotoGP-developed hydration system included in the helmet with internal channels engineered for smooth tube placement and drinking valve placed inside the chin of the helmet for a constant and smooth hydration during riding. The system is fully removable.
- New Class Optic 1 visor with 100% Max Vision Pinlock(r) (120) anti-fog technology is designed for maximum vertical view in racing position (85deg) and unmatched horizontal view (190deg). Visor is anti-scratch and ready for track use tear-offs. A tear-off kit is included in the box.
- Patented Visor Lock System (VLS) reduces the risk of accidental opening in the event
Image gallery of the Valentino Rossi AGV Pista GP R Misano MotoGP helmet:
Here is the Revzilla video review of the new AGV Pista GP R helmet:
You can expect to pick up a AGV Pista GP R with race graphics like this Andrea Iannone one for around £999 / $1599. You can find them a bit cheaper if you are prepared to shop around. Check the links below for some trusted outlets where discounts can be found.
|Get it from Demon-Tweeks.co.uk, if you are in the UK (they also ship globally).|
|Alternatively you can pick stock up from various trusted sellers on|