AGV have now released Valentino Rossi’s ‘SoleLuna’ helmet design that he first started wearing during the 2016 MotoGP season. After racing for the previous 3 years with a classic Soleluna design, Valentino Rossi decided to give the design an overhaul and he started the 2016 MotoGP season with a geometric spin on his famous ‘Sun and Moon’ motif.
As usual, Aldo Drudi was the man behind the design, and the basic layout of the new Soleluna wasn’t that much different from the previous one – it features the sun at the front of the helmet with the sun-rays radiating back towards the rear of the helmet where they intertwine with a dark crescent moon. This is where the similarities end however, as the helmet design utilises an asymmetrical design filled with splashes of bright pink, green, blue, and red colours that form various geometric shapes including circles, triangles, and squares.
There is a reason behind the pattern and AGV announced that the geomteric-influenced design represents Rossi’s dedication in striving to reach precision and perfection in his racing career. Whatever the reason, it is a beautiful and eyecatching design and despite the high price tag we are sure this will be very popular with track-racers and fans.
The Pista GP R is AGV’s premium race helmet and it is the latest evolution of the groundbreaking Pista GP, basically AGV’s MotoGP helmet. The Pista GP R has been designed as a pure performance helmet and you really need to be using this helmet at full speed in order to get the full benefit of the features and the development that has gone into it.
So what is so different about the new Pista GP R?:
This latest version of the Pista includes a few new features that basically have come straight from the race-track. The first difference is in the spoiler which now has multiple wings to provide more ‘down force’ and even greater stability at high speed. This “biplano” spoiler has been tested intensively in wind tunnels and with feedback from MotoGP racers like Valentino Rossi, Pol Espargaro, Jack Miller, Andrea Iannone, and more.
Another new feature that has come from the race-track is the integrated hydration system which has been developed with input from MotoGP racers. There is now a tube that is integrated with routing optimized to eliminate distraction for completely unencumbered hydration while riding. This feature alone should tell you that this is a thoroughbred race helmet and the features you get with this helmet are there to make racing easier, more comfortable, and faster.
The air vents in the new Pista GP R have also had an overhaul and they now have a metallic grill over the vents that increase overall strength and protection. The vents are always open, but the Pista GP R comes with plugs to close them if required.
All in all this is still the killer race helmet that riders have come to expect from AGV’s Pista range. Expensive sure, but if you are a performance rider or if you race in any shape or form, then this really is a cutting-edge lid that has purely been created for the motorcycle racer.
Official Description of the AGV Valentino Rossi SoleLuna Pista GP R helmet:
The ultimate track helmet is now even better, with an included hydration system, MotoGP-developed metal air vents and a wind-tunnel-tested “biplano” spoiler that has multiple wings to maximize aerodynamic performance and add stability at high speed. The 100% carbon fiber shell’s shape is designed to minimize interference with the racing suit, while the interior has an adaptable fit and places no stitching in sensitive areas.
The AGV Pista GP R Helmet features an integrated hydration system developed with top riders with tube routing optimized to eliminate distraction for completely unencumbered hydration while riding. MotoGP developed metal air vents with an innovative external fins structure have been engineered to capture maximum airflow in the front of the shell and increase air pressure on the rear exhaust, therefore increasing the speed of air transition inside the helmet, and leading to higher cooling performance. The wind-tunnel-tested “biplano” spoiler has multiple wings to maximize aerodynamic performance and add stability at high speed.
- Shell in 100% 3K Carbon Fiber engineered in four sizes with five-densities EPS structure developed in four sizes. The structure offers an extremely compact and light helmet with unmatched safety performance.
- Shell shape is designed to maximize aerodynamic performance and to minimize the risk of impact energies being channeled to the collar bone. Rear shape is engineered to minimize interference with racing suit in racing position.
- IVS (Integrated Ventilation System) ventilation with five large front vents and two rear extractors hollowed in the shell which direct air to the rider’s head. The unique central upper air intake has been strategically placed in highest air pressure point to capture maximum air flow.
- New MotoGP-developed metal air vents, combines unique strength and protection with an innovative external fins structure engineered to capture maximum airflow in the front of the shell and increase air pressure on the rear exhaust, therefore increasing the speed of air transition inside the helmet, leading to higher cooling performance. New internal chin channels distribute the air flow evenly through the entire visor surface. Vent covers are included in the box.
- New wind tunnel tested Biplano spoiler features multiple wings to maximize aerodynamic performance, optimize CX, stabilizing the helmet during high speed riding in any conditions. Biplano spoiler is engineered to detach from the helmet in case of an accident, therefore maintaining helmet’s round shape for increased safety.
- MotoGP-developed interiors engineered for maximum performance on the track with a patented structure that allows riders to optimize fit and select helmet height positioning over the head. Developed with top riders, the neck roll offers easy entry, maximum ventilation and adaptable fit. Different thickness crown pad and cheek pads inserts are included in the box, allowing the rider to adapt the helmet fit. Removable nose guard and wind protector.
- The inner of the helmet is designed to offer the highest riding comfort without any stitches in sensitive areas. All parts are easily removable and washable
- Neck roll: Two-way stretch breathable fabric to guarantee the maximum breathability in a lightweight structure, with high-strength Nabuk inserts for durable performance.
- Cheek pads: Soft and gentle Shalimar fabric with Sanitized(r) (antibacterial protection), 2 Dry (moisture-wicking) and Microsense (premium skin comfort and wearing fluidity) treatments.
- Crown pad: Elastic microfiber with the same treatments listed for check pads.
- New patented cheek pads safety release system engineered to conveniently remove cheek pads in case of accident.
- MotoGP-developed hydration system included in the helmet with internal channels engineered for smooth tube placement and drinking valve placed inside the chin of the helmet for a constant and smooth hydration during riding. The system is fully removable.
- New Class Optic 1 visor with 100% Max Vision Pinlock(r) (120) anti-fog technology is designed for maximum vertical view in racing position (85deg) and unmatched horizontal view (190deg). Visor is anti-scratch and ready for track use tear-offs. A tear-off kit is included in the box.
- Patented Visor Lock System (VLS) reduces the risk of accidental opening in the event
Image gallery of the Valentino Rossi AGV Pista GP R Soleluna helmet:
You can expect to pick up a AGV Pista GP R with race graphics like this Valentino Rossi one for around £999 / $1599. You can find them a bit cheaper if you are prepared to shop around. Check the links below for some trusted outlets. Remember this is a limited edition and the Valentino Rossi ones like this go quickly, with many being reserved as pre-orders. Good luck.
|Get it from Revzilla.com. US based with global shipping, and free US shipping.|
|Get it from MotoSport.com, who have UK and US sites and delivery options.|
|Get it from MotoIn.de, who are based in Germany and are a great option if you are in Europe.|
|Alternatively you can pick stock up from various trusted sellers on|