AGV have released an especially beautiful looking Valentino Rossi replica helmet in their entry-level AGV K-3 SV range.
This design became known as the ‘Kendo’ design and there was a very special significance behind the graphics. Designed by Aldo Drudi, Valentino wore this helmet for the MotoGP winter test sessions in 2012 to mark his return to the factory Yamaha team after two frustrating, and less than spectacular seasons at Ducati.
The rear of the helmet features the Japanese symbol for ‘Kendo’ – this lettering was created by the wife of Masao Furusawa (chief of engineering at Yamaha) and Kendo can kind of be summed up as meaning a very intense emotion towards something in Japan, it is reserved for very special things and carries great importance. Rossi said that he first understood the concept of ‘Kendo’ when he first moved to the factory Yamaha team, and this helmet was a sign of deep respect and gratitude to Yamaha to mark his return to the factory.
Anyway, Japanese lesson over, this is a stunning and simple design. The rest of the helmet features a striking blue base, with a yellow ’46’ place at the top and towards the front of the helmet, on a white background. The sides of the helmet feature Valentino Rossi’s long-running Sun and Moon logos.
This is probably one of our favorite Valentino Rossi designs out of all of his replica helmets that hit the market from AGV. There is something about the simplicity and colourway that really gives this a unique and timeless looking feel.
Description: AGV K-3 SV Valentino Rossi Winter Test helmet:
The AGV K-3 SV is the successor to the very popular and bestselling K3 range; but AGV have rebuilt it, changed teh shape, and have given it a built in internal sun visor – which is a nice touch for everyday motorcycle riders.
The K-3 SV is made in 2 shell sizes throughout the size range, and the shell is constructed from a High Resistant Thermoplastic Resin (HIR-TH). The interior pads are made from Dri-Lex and microfibre with a sanitising treatment, both the cheek-pads and interior pad are removable and washable. Front air intakes along with rear exhausts, micro-metric retention system, Share Bluetooth system ready, an optical class 1, non-scratch, anti-fog, polycarbonate visor and internal sun visor make this helmet unbeatable value for money.
- HIR-TH (High Resistance Thermoplastic Resin) shell construction
- 2 shell sizes
- 4 EPS sizes optimized using the FEM (Finite Elements Analysis) system
- Ventilation system was designed and optimized in a wind tunnel
- 4 front vents (3 at the forehead and one on the chin guard) and 2 rear extractors vents
- XQRS (X-tra Quick Release System) visor mechanism for tool-free removal and replacement of the faceshield in seconds
- Faceshield mechanism features PVS (Perimetrical Visor Seal) for improved seal and protection against drafts and wind noise
- GT2 scratch-resistant, anti-fog polycarbonate visor with 100% protection from UV rays
- GT2 face shield has improved peripheral vision thanks to the specially-shaped profile of the aperture
- Integrated drop-down Sun Visor (ISV) is scratch-resistant and can be replaced easily and without special tools
- Removable breath deflector
- Removable windproof chin strap protection
- Fully removable and washable 3D inner liner and cheek pads are sanitized and made from Dry-Comfort fabrics
- Helmet profile has been contoured around the base to reduce the risk of collar bone injuries
- Double-D ring chin strap
- DOT approved
Image gallery of the AGV K-3 SV Rossi Winter Test helmet:
Here is the Revzilla.com detailed review of the AGV K-3 SV helmet:
Check our full review of the AGV K3 SV helmet (opens in new tab)
Put bluntly the AGV K-3 SV is a great helmet that comes packed with features and a solid safety rating that you would probably end up paying more for from other brands. It is a solid everyday motorcycle helmet masquerading under a race helmet’s shape and design.
The K-3 SV series also has a number of race replica graphics vaialable in the range, including five different official Valentino Rossi designs to choose from. The AGV K3 SV range is one of the best options if you are after a great looking race replica helmet without wanting to pay a premium price, and it is currently the cheapest way to get hold of an official Valentino Rossi MotoGP race replica helmet.
You can expect to pick up a K3 for less than £200 / $260. Word of warning, it is now getting very hard indeed to find stock of this helmet left in retailers, but check the links below for trusted sellers where you might still be able to score one.
|Get it from Demon-Tweeks.co.uk, UK based but ship globally.|
|You can also get stock from a variety of sellers on at various bargain prices.|