This is the classic Max Biaggi World Superbike ‘Pirate’ racing helmet whihc has been available as a replica in the Suomy Excel range for a while now. Sadly it is getting harder and harder to find now that the Excel model is being phased out slowly in favour of newer models in the Suomy range, which is a shame as we have a lot of love for the Suomy Excel helmet, especially with classic Max Biaggi graphics like this.
Max Biaggi raced in World Superbikes with these graphics around 2013. It featured two of Biaggi’s long-running design motifs – the pirate logo and the cat logo. The Pirate symbol and the crossed cutlasses feature in black and white on the top of this helmet and the roaring cat is poistioned on either side in yellow. The rest of the helmet features a red, black, and white patterned base.
This is a great looking helmet.
The Suomy Excel range was created as an evolution of the Suomy ‘Extreme’ race lid, and it is a helmet that has been created for the track, but one that also has enough flexible features to make it a solid choice for daily street-wear.
Official Description of the Suomy Max Biaggi Pirate helmet:
The Suomy Excel is the ultimate racing helmet. An evolution of the popular ‘Extreme’ helmet this is as good as a racing helmet can be.
- Shell available in three sizes (M, L and XL), and made in Italy. The new composite material is a combination of carbon in various grammages and aramidic fibre.
- Internal polystyrene protective liner, available in three sizes (M, L and XL). The special shape and construction featuring differentiated density increases mechanical resistance in the event of accidental shock.
- The face shield is pressed and cut from a flat sheet and then thermoformed. Each face shield is a one-of-a-kind piecewith unequalled optical features andmechanical resistance.Moreover, thanks to this process, there is no need to apply overlapping lenses inside the face shield since it is equipped with permanent “anti-fog” and “anti-scratch” treatments.
- The D-RING retention system is designed and patented by Suomy: This reliable and tested double D ring system ensures stability, safety and resistance.
- Removable and washable cheek pads are available in different thicknesses for complete customization of the final product.
- Completely removable and washable internal shell is in different thicknesses for complete customization of the final product.
- The removable internal shell has been ergonomically designed for a uniform and controlled fit of the entire head.
- The visible aeration slots ensure that incoming air thermo-regulates the inside of the helmet and that the flow of hot air is easily discharged from the rear.
- The internal elements (cheek pads and internal shell) are made entirely of COOLMAX® ACTIVE fabric with INTERPOWER treatment:
- – Wicks sweat away from the body;
- – Keeps the user fresh, dry and comfortable;
- – Lightweight, soft and breathable fabric;
- – Performance verified and certified by ADVANSA.
- Polystyrene with grooves to direct the incoming air flow.
- Upper air intake with on/off switch to control the helmet’s internal ventilation.
- Adjustable chin-guard air intake to control the helmet’s internal ventilation.
- Rear spoiler is made from polycarbonate. The spoiler has been subjected to wind tunnel research and testing so that the point of detachment of the aerodynamic flow is shifted as far away as possible from the shell. This results in less turbulence and therefore fewer vibrations on the helmet itself.
- ECE 22-05 Europe
- DOT America and Canada
- QAS Australia and New Zealand
- JIS Japan
- INMETRO Brazil NBR 7471
The fibreglass shell, available in three sizes:
XS 53/54 6-1/2” 6-5/8”
S 55/56 6-3/4” 6-7/8”
M 57/58 7” 7-1/8”
L 59/60 7-1/4” 7-3/8”
XL 61/62 7-1/2” 7-5/8”
XXL 63/64 7-3/4” 7-7/8”
XXXL 65/66 8” 8-1/8”
Always check the homologation list for each model and verify availability/possibility of using them in the countries where they are sold.
Image gallery of the Max Biaggi Suomy Excel Pirate Helmet
Pricing and availability:
So where can you get this Max Biaggi replica helmet? As the Suomy Excel is basically discontinued you will find yourself hunting for very limited stock now if you want to secure this Max Biaggi helmet. When it was first released it could be bought for around $630 / £500, but if you can track one down now you can expect to get huge discounts. Check out the retailers below who still carried stock at the time of writing this.
Where to buy it:
|Get it from FC-Moto based in Europe and had some stock at the time of writing in selected sizes.|
|Get it from who are now probably your best bet for stock now.|
|Check out stock at Amazon|