This is the Loris Capirossi MotoGP helmet replica that has been released by Suomy in their Excel motorcycle helmet range.
Since Loris Capirossi retired from MotoGP in 2011 Capirossi replica helmets are becoming few and far between, which is really sad as he had some wonderful iconic designs. In our opinion this one isn’t our favorite Capirossi design (we’d love to see the Suzuki one back as a replica), but it is nice to see a Capirossi replica helmet so we won’t complain too much.
This is the design that Capirossi raced with during the years he spent with the Pramac Ducati team. The helmet features a silver base with a large ’65’, Capirossi’s race number stamped on the left side of the helmet. The right side of the helmet features 3 stars, one of which contains the colours of the Italian flag. The base of the helmet features the floral motif that Capirossi has used in his helmet designs for many years, and the back of the helmet features Capirossi’s cartoon bird logo. A dark band with red, yellow, and green streaks runs across the top of the helmet.
The Suomy Excel helmet is the manufacturer’s evolution of their popular Suomy ‘Extreme’ helmet and it is very much created as a race specification helmet.
Official Description of the Suomy Loris Capirossi helmet:
The Suomy Excel is the ultimate racing helmet. An evolution of the popular ‘Extreme’ helmet this is as good as a racing helmet can be.
- Shell available in three sizes (M, L and XL), and made in Italy. The new composite material is a combination of carbon in various grammages and aramidic fibre.
- Internal polystyrene protective liner, available in three sizes (M, L and XL). The special shape and construction featuring differentiated density increases mechanical resistance in the event of accidental shock.
- The face shield is pressed and cut from a flat sheet and then thermoformed. Each face shield is a one-of-a-kind piecewith unequalled optical features andmechanical resistance.Moreover, thanks to this process, there is no need to apply overlapping lenses inside the face shield since it is equipped with permanent “anti-fog” and “anti-scratch” treatments.
- The D-RING retention system is designed and patented by Suomy: This reliable and tested double D ring system ensures stability, safety and resistance.
- Removable and washable cheek pads are available in different thicknesses for complete customization of the final product.
- Completely removable and washable internal shell is in different thicknesses for complete customization of the final product.
- The removable internal shell has been ergonomically designed for a uniform and controlled fit of the entire head.
- The visible aeration slots ensure that incoming air thermo-regulates the inside of the helmet and that the flow of hot air is easily discharged from the rear.
- The internal elements (cheek pads and internal shell) are made entirely of COOLMAX® ACTIVE fabric with INTERPOWER treatment:
- – Wicks sweat away from the body;
- – Keeps the user fresh, dry and comfortable;
- – Lightweight, soft and breathable fabric;
- – Performance verified and certified by ADVANSA.
- Polystyrene with grooves to direct the incoming air flow.
- Upper air intake with on/off switch to control the helmet’s internal ventilation.
- Adjustable chin-guard air intake to control the helmet’s internal ventilation.
- Rear spoiler is made from polycarbonate. The spoiler has been subjected to wind tunnel research and testing so that the point of detachment of the aerodynamic flow is shifted as far away as possible from the shell. This results in less turbulence and therefore fewer vibrations on the helmet itself.
- ECE 22-05 Europe
- DOT America and Canada
- QAS Australia and New Zealand
- JIS Japan
- INMETRO Brazil NBR 7471
The fibreglass shell, available in three sizes:
XS 53/54 6-1/2” 6-5/8”
S 55/56 6-3/4” 6-7/8”
M 57/58 7” 7-1/8”
L 59/60 7-1/4” 7-3/8”
XL 61/62 7-1/2” 7-5/8”
XXL 63/64 7-3/4” 7-7/8”
XXXL 65/66 8” 8-1/8”
Always check the homologation list for each model and verify availability/possibility of using them in the countries where they are sold.
Image gallery of the Loris Capirossi Suomy Excel 65 Replica 2011 Helmet:
Pricing and availability:
So where can you get this Loris Capirossi replica helmet? As the Suomy Excel is basically discontinued you will find it difficult to secure this Loris Capirossi helmet replica. When it was first released it could be bought for around $630 / £500, but if you can track one down now you can expect to get huge discounts. Check out the retailers below who still carried stock at the time of writing this, and ebay is always a very viable option.
Where to buy it:
|Get it from FC-Moto based in Europe and had some stock at the time of writing in selected sizes.|
|Get it from who are now probably your best bet for stock now.|